Sunday, April 17, 2011

From the Mountains to the Sea

This city really is amazing. I realize that it is the first place that I have been to on this trip so, yes, I'm sure that I'm still quite infatuated. But it is unlike any place I have ever been to. The terrain - the hills and mountains - are spectacular and I wish that my pictures would do a better job depicting their brilliance over the interwebs...everything is so close - you have so many options to choose from!

So it has been atleast a few days since I have posted anything but it's time to play catch up.

I went to Montjuic, home of the 92 Olympics, amongst a bunch of other things. Getting off at the Espanya stop and beginning the trek up the hill is quite a sight to see. Sitting at the top of Montjuic is a museum dedicated to Catalan artwork - let's just say it makes you feel overwhelmed (but in a very good way).



After huffing and puffing my way to the top (ok, it wasn't too bad - although they did have escalators!) I meandered around for a while, relishing in the views of Barcelona below.



Sagrada Familia in the distance

On Friday, I went to La Boqueria, the massive outdoor (albeit covered) food market. If you are a foodie of any type, it needs to be on your list if you ever come here. Seafood out the wazoo, jamon left and right, fresh fruit and vegetables, chocolates and candies. I really could go on and on but I'm typing with my thumbs. So I'm going to spare you and myself. Ended up have lunch with Francesca and enjoyed some tapas, along with my first "little" bit of sangria. Damn, I missed that stuff.



Both weekend nights were quite enjoyable. Went to a BBQ on Friday and out to a club on Saturday. Yes, it is true. The Spanish know how to party.

After getting to sleep somewhere around 5:30 this morning, it was sure to be a laid back, relaxing day. And what better place to have one of those days! The weather was perfect again so I went back to the Barri Gotic to walk around and people watch - always entertaining.

Met up with Francesca later to go to Tibidabo, a mountain overlooking Barcelona. After a winding, steep ascent by car to the top, I was afforded one of the best views of my life.



From Tibidabo



And another

After Tibidabo, we deicided to go to Sitges, an awesome little beach town about 20 miles outside of Barcelona. Let me just say to any of you reading this, make the drive from Barcelona to Sitges. It needs to be on your bucket list. Think of one of the most winding and curvy roads you have ever been on. Then insert the road into the sides of mountains overlooking the Mediterranean. One of the greatest things I have ever done in the my life. And not only that, I was driving. Added bonus :)

After picking up my jaw off the dashboard when we arrived in Sitges, this was the first thing I saw.



Sorry Missourians. Apparently Kansans travel a bit better

So, of course being a Jayhawk, I had to go in and have a drink ( I'm sure I just lost half of my readership right now) but unfortunately wasn't able to figure out the tie to Kansas...

Here are some pics from Sitges



Sitges




Ended up having dinner at a Basque restaurant, after the recommendation from a local police officer. He has good taste. Great tapas and more fantastic sangria. And perhaps the best part:



The honor code for paying for your meal. I love it.

Well that's about it for now. Going to enjoy this week and then off to Portugal on Friday! Looking forward to it!

Adios amigos!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Barcelona, Spain

No comments:

Post a Comment